The All Progressives Congress (APC) is accused by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) of planning acts of violence around the nation with the aim of obstructing the conduct of the general elections in 2023.
At a press conference yesterday in Abuja, the party’s spokesman, Debo Ologunagba, denounced the rise in attacks on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) facilities, claiming that the perpetrators wanted to prevent the electoral umpire from conducting elections in the following year.
According to the PDP, APC leaders and members have enacted plans to sabotage the voting process by orchestrating violent attacks in several states of the nation in response to this directive.
The party claimed that the goal was to cause a national security emergency, spread anxiety, and give the impression that conducting elections in the nation would be difficult.
“Part of the plot is the current attacks on the facilities of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in various parts of the country as witnessed in Ogun, Osun and Imo States where sections critical to the conduct of elections particularly those connected to the collection of Permanent Voters Cards (PVCs) were targeted and destroyed. Also, our party has been made aware of plans by the APC to orchestrate attacks in other states particularly Kogi and Delta, some states of the South East as well as parts of the North with the view to subverting the electoral process in as many states as possible.”
“They design it to create tension across the country to validate a narrative that elections cannot hold, then orchestrate a constitutional crisis with a view to justifying a shifting of the elections and perpetuate certain APC elements in office beyond May 29, 2023.”
While urging the security agencies to look into the APC regarding the attacks on INEC offices, the opposition spokesman pointed out that Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, the head of INEC, recently warned that the commission might not be able to recover from the attacks if they continue through January and February.
According to information available to the opposition party, attacks on INEC facilities were intended to hinder newly registered voters from receiving their Permanent Voter’s Cards (PVCs), damage the PVCs, and impair INEC’s ability to hold free elections.
According to Ologunagba, there is a connection between the rise in attacks on INEC facilities and the claim made by Bola Tinubu, the APC presidential candidate, to his London-based supporters that power is not distributed on an individual basis.
He recalled what the APC candidate had said earlier this month during a private gathering of his supporters in London:
“Political power is not going to be served in a restaurant, it is not served a la carte. It is what we are doing, it is being determined, you do it at all cost, fight for it, grab it, snatch it and run with it.”
“The PDP, therefore, alerts the security agencies to take immediate steps to investigate and stop the APC on its vicious plot to derail our democratic process. The PDP again demands that President Muhammadu Buhari should call Asiwaju Tinubu and his party members to order so that Nigerians can peacefully choose their next president through a free, fair, transparent and credible electoral process.
“The choice of who becomes the president of Nigeria rests on the will of the people through the free exercise of their votes and the APC presidential candidate should come to terms with the resolve of Nigerians to vote in the PDP candidate, Atiku Abubakar as the next president,” PDP said.
Leave a Reply